Monday 6 April 2015

The Future Of Search Engines Is Context

Columnist Aaron Friedman discusses a mobile search future based on context and the Internet of Things (IoT).

As mobile continues to grow, as more smartphones are bought, and as more apps are developed, we have also seen the growth of businesses like “app store optimization” and other services around optimizing for mobile.
But what exactly are users doing on their phones? Is mobile SEO just going to be about “chasing the algorithm” and using the signals we learn through testing like traditional SEO? Or is there something bigger out there that we are missing?
As I write this, I have to remind myself that I am the minority and that most users are not as “technically minded” as myself or my internet-obsessed peers. I tend to search through the app stores to see what’s new. I scour tech sites, my RSS feeds, and other tech reporters on social media to see what’s changing in the market.
The average user in society does not behave this way, despite what some reports might say. The average user is looking for simplicity and wants information spoon-fed to them. They don’t want to search at all; in fact, the data suggest that they aren’t searching all that much on their phones to begin with:
The average person with an Android smartphone is using it to search the web, from a browser, only 1.25 times per day.
Roi Carthy, head of special projects at Everything.Me
Kind of makes you wonder what people are actually doing on their phones, right?
Read more Click here / www.advante360.com


 

No comments:

Post a Comment